Greetings message: "You have entered Shady Sands, the capitol of the New California Republic. Its streets are busy and filled with traders and travelers of various kind."
Shady Sands is the most populated city in FOnline: Aftertimes. It is the capital of the New California Republic state. Saying that it is the largest city would be wrong, since other cities like San Francisco or the Hub provide equal services and are as large as the New California Republic's capital. However, Shady Sands is known for being populated - especially the entrance of the town - which attracts even more population over time.
Shady Sands was a small town built by the survivors of the early-opened Vault 15. Villagers of Shady Sands were smart enough to build an army, and to develop their town. Later on, the New California Republic was created, with both police and military forces. Its great resources are coming from its large brahmin herds, and from the caravans that travel across the Republic. Directed by the president Tandi for dozens of years, Shady Sands is still expanding. Well-driven and safe, this city can only grow stronger.
In Fallout 2, NCR is one of the biggest cities. The city is known to have over 3000 inhabitants in the original Fallout game, and this population can be compared to FOnline's one: Thanks to various features, NCR is one of the most crowded meeting places in the FOnline world. As it is a guarded city, wandering around in the town is quite safe. Players are able to trade safely and to talk to many NPCs that can give out quests, profession levels, and provide other services (Slavery, bank accounts, etc, see below).
You can also take your mutant or ghoul mercenary there, as they're able to enter the city.
Weapons or drugs are not allowed in the inside city, and the guards have no mercy in these cases.
- A guarded quarry just outside of town to the west is a great place to get iron and minerals.
- The shit shoveling is great in NCR since there are a lot of brahmin, and a lot of brahmin pens that are on the western part of the city. A beginner or a low-level player may earn his first caps and xp here.
- NCR also contains some quests.
- Its workbench (Inside the city, above the Brotherhood of Steel's bunker) attracts many players that haven't got their own base, to be able to craft there.
- Some of the NCR inhabitants can give crafting professions level : See the crafting page for more information.
- The bank located in the inner part of the town is also quite useful, and many players use it.
- Vortis building, in the outer part of the town (Northwest), can provide some slavery services.
- A merc seller is also located in NCR, before the entrance gates.
- You can trade with merchants, like Buster, the dwarf in the Northeast, or various bartenders.
- Sell Gold Nuggets to Mikey at the Son of Bob's booth.
- NCR features a train station.
- A barber will cut your hair (Shorten or make it longer) if you are a male. She is located in the bathhouse in the residence section.
- And last but not least, as the city attracts many players, it's the best place to meet players and to trade or play with them.
- You can join to caravan as a guard.
- Vortis Holding Center
Shady Sands is located at Grid 34:27 (western central area).